Madison Master Builders has been building artful, innovative projects for more than 25 years. We offer general contracting, construction management, owners representation, forensic investigations, fine in-house carpentry / artistry, and a variety of project consulting services throughout each projects life cycle. We are a small company by design, with a team approach dedicated to listening and communicating effectively to execute the project at the highest standards. We love what we do and continue to be inspired by each new project. We’d love to discuss yours.
Tim began laying foundations when he was 15 years old, and has since done virtually every conceivable job on a building site. In addition to paying his dues working for architectural, engineering, and land development firms, he is an accomplished carpenter and fine woodworker. Over the years Tim cultivated a passion and intuition for design, and how a living and/or work space can enhance, shape, and be shaped by the lives of its inhabitants. He founded MMBI in 1995 so he could explore these connections more deeply. Tim is happiest in those moments of creative flow, when he is synthesizing the design team and his clients vision with sustainable building practices, current building sciences, and perfectly crafted details.
Values & Approach
What we create, and how we do it, has a lot to do with how we feel about our work (and ourselves) at the end of the day. Here are the things we think make it all worth doing:
- Commitment to the vision: Our greatest pleasure is in collaborating with our clients and the design team to help define and realize the vision of their ideal living and/or working environment. We engender a committed team with experienced leadership that knows how to bring all the resources, human and materials, to bare on each project. It means nurturing and encouraging a collective approach with the design team, client, artisans, craftspeople and vendors. We have a shared passion for achieving the project vision within budget and on schedule.
- Local talent: Partnering with local craftspeople and artisans in creating lasting works of beauty and function is one of the highlights of our work. From architectural concrete, metal workers, to casework carpenters - throughout the process we seek local talent who is as dedicated to crafting built art as we are.
- Environmental stewardship: Reducing waste and environmental impact, considering durability and ongoing operational costs, addressing the connection between building materials and human health. We have built numerous, passive solar, geothermal, high efficiency envelope, no VOC, high reuse/recycles content, reduced waste stream projects. We are at last experiencing a transformation of the building industry and are thrilled to continue to push the boundaries of sustainable design and building. We have built numerous no/low VOC, passive solar, geothermal, and high recycled/reused material homes. We have been praised for buildings that not only honor the environment, but also endure the aesthetic test of time.
- Value: Stewardship and frugality are often two sides of the same coin. We are constantly asking ourselves and others, "Can we get what we want for less cost while remaining true to the design vision, and to our values?" That frugal bone - combined with our years of experience and low overhead - mean we can provide our clients with exceptional value. We pride ourselves for finding economical solutions to problems and are dedicated to creating high value in everything we do.
- Fun: We love working with clients, architects and contractors who understand that building an original project is like any dynamic, creative venture - it can be both exhilarating and exhausting. So it's important that it also be fun!
- Relationships: We are a small company by design, because we value the personal connections that we develop with our clients, architects, craftspeople and suppliers. We are interested in developing lifelong relationships, which means we have a big stake in the outcome of every project. A recent client described herself as "just tickled" with her remodeled home and with the process of creating it. We want every client to feel that way.
- Client-centered projects: We excel at assisting the design team in defining the project program. We believe the best designs are derived from, and nurtured by, the clients' personalities and needs. We take a comprehensive approach to understanding how they want to live and/or work within their built space. At the end of the day, our goal is to enhance our clients' lives - day in and day out - by creating a space that nurtures a healthy, fulfilling and productive life.
- Structured yet flexible: When it comes to selecting a builder, owners and architects care about schedule, budget and solving problems. We have a project development and management system that provides detailed cost analysis, cost tracking, tight schedule controls. But we also employ a project management style that allows for creative latitude. We want to achieve the best interpretation of the design, and understand that the creative process is a dynamic process, so we don't fight against it. Among our clients and their architects, we're known for excellent communication, constructive problem solving, and flexibility.
We would love the opportunity to discuss your project. Please contact us!